History

1948 - The Beginnings

  • In 1948, SOLIDAR was founded by the Committees of the Socialist International.
  • In 1951, it was formally set up as International Workers Aid (IWA).
  • IWA laid down foundations for international cooperation between socialist parties and social aid organisations.
  • IWA members were traditionally associated to workers movements and social democratic values.

1950-1980 - Strengthening the Network

  • IWA focused on the needs of displaced people in central and eastern Europe and assisting political refugees from totalitarian regimes in Spain, Greece and Eastern Europe.
  • IWA strengthened its external role, creating links to the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) and the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) and gaining recognition as an international non-governmental organisation by the International Labour Organization (ILO) in 1973, by the European Council in 1984 and by the European Communities in 1985.
  • During the 1970s and 1980s, IWA changed its activities, working increasingly in social services and international development.

1990-2000 - Move to Brussels

In 1995 IWA changed its name to SOLIDAR and moved permanently to Brussels to be closer to the EU institutions.

SOLIDAR focused on:

  • Building civil society platforms at European level, with SOLIDAR helping to lay the foundation of two widely recognised platforms: CONCORD and the Social Platform.
  • A new internal organisation in order to strengthen the network, cooperation between members and their involvement at European level.
  • Promoting Europe amongst our members and working closely with the European Commission to help establish strategies for bringing the EU closer to its citizens.

2008 - 60th Anniversary

  • In 2008, SOLIDAR celebrated its 60th Anniversary.
  • SOLIDAR continues to act for more social justice in Europe and worldwide.
  • Read more in SOLIDAR: History of a Movement.

Receive our Weekly Round Up:

app logo

Download our APP

through APP Store or GOOGLE Play

Decent work library